Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Perfect Day...

Last night on TNT Johnson & Johnson aired the original movie "A Perfect Day" starring Rob Lowe and Christopher Lloyd. It was about a guy who wrote a book about his wife's struggle with losing her father to cancer and the day her father told her he was going to die. Well, long story short is that Rob Lowe's book becomes the number one book in the country and he loses himself in the fame, along with losing his family and friends. Well, Christopher Llyod keeps showing up in the oddest places and eventually tells Rob that he is going to die on Christmas Day. The rest of the movie is sort of like that song "live like you were dying." As it turns out Christopher Lloyd is not an angel with a message from God, but just another writer doing research on humanity when it learns it is dying, and Rob was a guinea pig. Regardless, how would you live if you knew you were going to die in a week, two weeks... a month. Would you live every day like it were the perfect day? What would the perfect day look like for you?
I say this because I think that I had the perfect day yesterday. My grandparents were coming to see my house and visit. Which meant really cleaning my house and not just shutting the doors to the dirty rooms. My mom came early and helped me finish the last of the cleaning (dusting and wiping off counters). Well, my grandma is like 95 years old and she has gotten into the habit of trying to give us stuff every time that we see her. Yesterday it was a bag of old stationary and cards. As I perused the pile of cards with fluffy kittens and flowers I saw that not only were some of them incredibly ugly, but also some of them were used. What was I going to do with used cards grandma!!?? Well, there it was, a white card that was addressed to my great aunt Dodo, well her name is actually Dora but that's another conversation all together. I had written her a note years ago thanking her for a gift she had given. It was signed... Your Sweetheart, Karen. She developed Alzheimers while I was in High School, even near the end when she couldn't remember my name she would sometimes call me her "sweetheart." I have been so lucky to have so many people in my life who have cared about me. And two of them came yesterday to see my house and to visit me and let me know that they love me.
In the evening I got to be the person to deliver gifts and food to families that the youth adopted through salvation army. The faces of the people I met last night were loving and grateful and kind. I received hope and joy. And I made 2 visits that showed that these families were loved...
"Dear Friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."
(1 John: 4:11-12)
I have been given so much love, and I cannot just say thank you and go on with my day. I wish to give as much love as possible so that those around me can know God. Love is contagious. Love is free. It does not dress itself up or make itself over. Love is just the way it is. Love does not move on its own, but must be shown. My love is not better than your love, nor yours better than mine. Love never ends. God is Love. GOD SO LOVED... HE GAVE HIS SON TO DIE.
I pray to you to have a perfect day, filled with love, filled with God. So full that you can't help but give it to others.

No comments: